Restricting your usage of Social Media is a great idea. I have to be honest, it do it too! However, sometimes you may need to send a final reminder to your friend such as "Im out of your door, come down and let me in". However, if you forget your password you set for Screen time, can be a disaster and you may need to reset your iPhone.
Sad news apart, I will show you how to do it without resetting your iPhone. Please, follow the instructions below. If you feel you don't understand something or unsure about a step, I have included a video from my YouTube channel going through these steps in the end of this article.
- A computer (Windows/Mac)
- iTunes installed (for Windows)
- iPhone charging cable
- Connect iPhone to computer.
- Plug iPhone to Computer using the charging cable.
- Launch iTunes.
- Click on the iPhone like button next to "Music" dropdown on the top left corner of the iTunes Window.
- Click on the "Encrypt iPhone Backup" checkbox.
- A dialog will open. Type a password, and check the "Remember this password with Keychain" checkbox and then click on "Set password" button. You will need to use the password on step 11, so keep a not of it.
- While iTune is doing it's job, open this link.
- From the latest version (1.7.1 at the moment writing this article), download one of the following:
- pinfinder-mac-1.7.1.tar.gz if you have a mac
- pinfinder-windows-32bit-1.7.1.zip if you have Windows 32 bit.
- pinfinder-windows-64bit-1.7.1.zip if you have Windows 64 bit (if unsure, download this one).
- Find the download file in your Downloads folder and unzip it.
- Launch Pinfinder 2. You may need to hold control while clicking on the file if you are a Mac user. A terminal or cmd line window should open.
- Type the password you set from step 6.
- A list of backups should appear. Your Screen time password is shown on the first row, "RESTRICTIONS PASSWORD" column.
- Almost done. Go to the app which you need to add extra time on.
- Click on "Ask for more time".
- Enter the password shown on step 12.
- Horray! Now you can add extra time on your apps.
Well done. You now got the passcode for Screen time. Feel free to share this tutorial with your friends but not with your parents.
In case you found some steps confusing, please let me down in the comments and I will edit them. In the mean time, please feel free to watch my YouTube tutorial below.
Feedback is recorded. Please, drop your comments in the comment section and we act.